The MITACS program enables UNIL PhD students to complete a research stay of 3 to 6 months at the University of Montreal (UofM). All fields of research are eligible. A stay in an institution affiliated to the University of Montreal (e.g. HEC Montreal, Polytechnic School of Montreal) is not possible.
For such a research stay, a scholarship of 6,000 Canadian dollars is available, regardless of the length of the stay. Half of this sum is paid by MITACS, a Canadian not-for-profit organization, which has signed an agreement with the University of Montreal, and the other half by UNIL.
- Call for applications: launched in the beginning of September 2022
- Deadline for submitting the application forms: 10 March 2023
An application can be sent to us at any time before the indicated deadline. There are two important points to keep in mind:
- it takes approximately 16 weeks from the time the complete file is submitted and the start of the stay at the UofM
- after the official acceptance of an application by MITACS, you have one year to start your research stay at the UofM.
Please take note of the important information below before downloading the application forms. The forms 1 and 2 must be sent electronically - completed and signed - to Mr Matthias Buess. You should not send your application directly to Anaïs Détolle (MITACS) or to UofM.
- Please read carefully the preliminary information in the guidelines. This "program guide" is part of the documents to be downloaded.
- In the forms to be filled out, you must describe your project during your research stay at the University of Montreal. Do not describe your thesis in general. It must be consistent with the calendar
- The stay must be entirely devoted to research – this must be reflected in the forms
- This is a full-time research stay. Therefore, do not mention courses and seminars that will be taken during the stay at UofM
- The different forms can be completed either in English or in French (see the respective version of this website)
- A PhD student being already in Canada cannot apply for a MITACS scholarship unless he or she returns to his or her country and then departs again for the research stay at the University of Montreal.